Abandoned Gougler Factory
The C.L. Gougler and Machine Co. Factory was one of the largest and most successful manufacturing operations in Kent's history. Recognizable by its signature brick smoke stack, the factory was involved in the war effort by making power plants and batteries for allied submarines since the 1920s. In 1945, the factory was purchased by the Miller Keyless Lock Company. To this day, many older houses in Kent have Miller/Gougler combination locks on the front doors.
The pictures and sounds available here were captured weeks before the final demolition, which occurred in April 2012.
Industrial District / Soundwalk
Main Street Bridge
Built in 1877, Kent's Main Street Bridge is a multi-arched, stone structure that is 275 feet long, 40 feet high and 60 feet wide. The Cuyahoga River flows beneath.
The area's history is revealed by the built structures such as former canal lock, sets of railroads tracks, a series of connecting drain pipes, the 1836 dam, and the Williams Brothers Grain Factory.
Franklin Mills Riveredge Park is formed along the western bank of the river, offering exploration of the area with its paths and observation decks.